1. What translation of the Bible do you like best?
I generally don't worry too much about translations--I know I can consult with the Authors (I AM writing assignment) on tough problems. I am impressed with the ESV website --it's fast and smart. The advanced search allows restricting the search to portions of the Bible (e.g. the gospels).
I do like the way the ESV handles Samuel 13:1 --it makes it really clear what's in the source documents and what's not:
Saul Fights the Philistines
2. Old or New Testament?
For years I rarely read the Old Testament except for Proverbs, however a couple of years ago I started meditating, sometimes for months, on Old Testament passages. Specifically:
- Genesis 1-3 Uncaused Light--God as a Stop-gap?
- The 10 commandments--why is marriage only mentioned in a negative way (adultery & coveting)? Bible Quiz
- Gideon The Faith of Gideon
- The story of Saul Saul--King of Israel 2.0 A study in scarcity?
- Balaam --no posts yet but lots of stuff in process, working titles: "Balaam: the for profit prophet", or "Conversations with a not so Dumb Ass on the Will of God". For being mentioned 65 times in 6 different books in the Bible, including twice in the New Testament Balaam doesn't get much press.
3. Favorite Book of the Bible?
- Proverbs--all 31 chapters are interesting and if I'm in doubt on where to read I can always read the chapter that matches the day of the month.
4. Favorite Chapter?
It must be Genesis 3 based on the number of posts that I have written on it:
5. Favorite Verse?
- "What does the Lord desire of you but to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly before the Lord."
6. Bible character you think you're most like?
- Zechariah (John the Baptist's father). In spite of being visited by an angel at the temple within the Holy of Hollies he still wants to know "How can I be sure of this?"
7. One thing from the Bible that confuses you? Only one thing? How about two:
- I Tim 2:13-15 Women and the Word--Paul's position?
- Genesis 11:5-6 "And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of man had built. And the Lord said, “Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them"
8. Moses or Paul?
I must admit to being somewhat annoyed with Paul right now. Generally I love his stuff, but the occasional passages cause no end of trouble (e.g. prohibition against women teaching, long hair, etc.)
Moses' humility is very impressive. When confronted by discontents his first response is often to "fall on his face" in dismay.
9. A teaching from the Bible that you struggle with or don't get?
In some ways I wish Genesis 1-3 didn't exist. The world would definitely be a different place if the Bible started after the garden. I love these passages, yet they cause so much controversy--controversy that appears to detract, and distract from the message of Christ.
10. Coolest name in the Bible?
Epaphroditus--Just rolls off your tongue
I am only going to tag one blog: zj7t, authored by mysterious blogger 7t, with this meme. I would love to see what he (or she) would have to say.